Part of the iMat series of classroom activity floor mats, meet our very first member of the family – the iMat for SPRK.
Designed to work with the Sphero SPRK, SPRK+ and Lightning Lab app, iMat for SPRK is a wonderful resource for use in the classroom that will develop key coding skills, linking to everyday curriculum outcomes, it’s loaded with a multitude of great activities.
In use, simply open up the superb Lightning Lab app from Sphero, connect the SPRK+ to the iPad, roll out the mat and pupils from ages 5 right up to 18 will be ready to go and create their own algorithms, problem solve and debug while SPRK+ navigates through each engaging activity.
Measuring 1.2m x 3M, iMat for SPRK is a robust vinyl floor mat. Its wipe clean, tough wearing surface is designed for classroom use and comes in a sturdy hard plastic art tube for easy of storage. iMat is best used with a group of pupils and at least two SPRK units (you can get those online here) – in a classroom, 10 pupils, working in pairs could use the mat with 5 SPRK units. iMat for SPRK ships with lesson plans and guides for everything you need to get started!
Bursting with activities for all age ranges.
In Early Years / Foundation Stage students can use the ‘Draw’ function in the Lightning Lab app to draw routes for the SPRK+ to move with their finger on the iPad screen.
Students in KS1,KS2 and KS3 (ages 8-14) can used the block feature in the Lightning Lab app to create algorithms that move the SPRK+ specific distances and also turn the device through any heading from 0° right up to 360°.
Older students in KS4 and KS5 (ages 14+) can use the block based code if they wish, however the Lightning Lab app allows students to write their own text based code, giving them the opportunity to create algorithms with functions, for loops and conditions with Sphero’s own text based coding language.
Designed with clear Curriculum Outcomes.
Using the Sphero SPRK+ and our SPRK+ Mat pupils develop knowledge within the following core curriculum outcomes:
- Simple and complex problem solving.
- Properties of 2D shapes.
- Acute, Right, Obtuse and Reflex angles.
- Development of key Thinking Skills and Personal Capabilities – managing information, collaboration and problem solving also including real innovation and experiential thinking.
All within fun, engaging coding activities.
- Shape Challenge – Looking at properties of 2D shapes, students can program the SPRK+ to roll along the outline of a shape by travelling to matching coloured circles.
- Length Challenge – Explore length by programming the SPRK+ to roll to different points along the metre rule
- Racetrack – Students can create their own algorithms looking at speed, distance, time and angles while they navigate the SPRK+ racetrack – 2 SPRK+ balls can race at the one time!
- Gate Challenge – Students can explore angles and command SPRK+ to change colour, spin and even speak by programming the device through each numbered gate.
- Math Challenge – Students can develop their coding skills by answering Math questions by programming the SPRK+ to roll to a number.
iMat is brought to you by iTeach and is not affiliated with Sphero. SPRk, SPRK+ and Lightning Lab are trademarks of Sphero used by kind permission.